Tuesday, June 30, 2009

So many positives

First off, referring back to last night's blog, the soy ice cream product was utterly FANTASTIC. It was some of the most amazing dark-chocolately, peanut-buttery goodness I have ever had. I approve, and then some. That's one positive for you. Another positive, Lucy let me sleep until 8:30 this morning! 

Since I got some good sleep, I was super prepared to head for Plymouth for Penny Kittle's author visit. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but it was great! Penny was fantastic. She had a wonderful presentation put together with a bunch of examples of student work and her own work and she gave me about a billion awesome ideas to use in my classroom next year. I know for sure I'm working in the right field and in the right place since I left the workshop feeling like I'm ready to go back to school tomorrow! 

I got to see several people who were in the PWP (Plymouth Writer's Project) the same summer I was and it was great to catch up with them! Pretty much every single one commented on my hair... I never knew a flat iron would make such a difference in my appearance! Nichole went with me (yet another positive) and we got invited to attend a four day workshop at the end of July revolving around place based writing. That totally got me going so I'm really hoping that my school district can come up with some cash money so I can go! Even if they don't, I might try to scrape it together so I can attend. 

For any teachers out there who might be reading this, I can't say enough times how amazing my experience at the PWP was. It was one of the most incredible educational experiences I have ever had. The open exchange of ideas between teachers, all supporting one another in the pursuit of doing what's right for kids... it was like heaven. Being there today has me jonesing to go back. Maybe next year I will apply to be a returning fellow. I wanted to do it last year, but it just wasn't the right time. All of that amazing collegial business and it got me writing like crazy. Even after being there today, I am itching to write, write, write! Tomorrow I have some serious plans to spend some quality time in front of the laptop. 

The one bummer of a thing that I heard today was a statistic about reading. Apparently in the USA, only 20% of the population reads. The great majority of people don't even attempt to read one book each year. This completely and totally blows my mind. I don't know what I would do if I didn't read. It is so fulfilling, enjoyable and relaxing. Penny asked her students at the high school about their reading. Almost every single one of them admitted that they did not read the books they were assigned for school, or any on their own. The kids readily admitted to using SparkNotes, skimming a chapter here and there and listening to other student's comments in order to write papers and add to class discussion. I hate to say this, but it's no wonder that the majority of people have no minds of their own. People don't read and their brains don't get any exercise. It's almost exactly the same as the obesity epidemic in the world today. People don't get outside and run around, nor do they sit down and crack open a novel... what a waste. They have no idea what they're missing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment