Monday, June 1, 2009

Personal Daze


I am taking a "personal day" today. We are allowed three a year and they expire at the end, so I figured, I might as well go for it! After the long stint in the fields on Saturday, it will probably be good to have an extra day of recovery so I can potentially walk like a normal human being in front of the children tomorrow. 

I managed to sleep in this morning with only two interruptions. Dexter needed desperately to pee and then Lucy had to have some playtime. When all was said and done, I wasn't up and about until about 8:00. Not bad in the grand scheme of my life. My normal morning starts right around 5:00 or a little before, depending on the day. I made myself a little mental list for the day and I've already managed to check one thing off! I've gone through all of the resumes for the hiring committee I'm a part of. Some were great, some had blatant miss-spellings. That one blew my mind. Now we'll see what the other committee members thought and I'll get to be a part of some interviews! Exciting stuff. Not too long ago, I was in their position - the hot seat. 

It's really funny to look back at life and see how things change and how cyclical so many things are. They say that every 7 years your body goes through a complete change. That's when your allergies are supposed to change and things like that. There are plenty of other cycles too... cycles in your brain, in your friendships, in your relationships in general. I can't help but think that ten years ago right now I was in a very similar place in a lot of ways. I can say that I sincerely hope it's not a regular ten year cycle. I am actually going to say right now that I am committing to making it not be a repetitive mistake. I am going to pay more attention to myself and what I need and what I love so that I don't have to go searching for myself again, now that I seem to be finally finding me. 

I'm not so good with maps.
And currently
I'm trekking
without a sherpa
through the mountainous region
known as myself.
Instead of being lost in a blizzard
or my toes turning black
from the frost
I actually think I'm finding my way
to higher ground 
and alpine meadows.
I can almost smell 
the heady scent of flowers
wafting on the wind that winds it's way
through the middle of my thoughts 
in my personal daze.

No comments:

Post a Comment