Friday, June 5, 2009

The Third Graduation

Last night, I was privileged enough to attend the third graduation of students from the Academy for Equine Sciences Charter School, formerly known as the New Hampshire Equestrian Academy. Two amazing young ladies graduated last night after spending the past three years working hard not only to learn as much as they possibly could, but also to build a healthy, happy community in their school. They fought hard not only to make the environment open and accepting, but also to keep the school open. Charter school's are in constant danger of closing due to lack of funding from the State of New Hampshire and on several occasions, these two girls spoke out in defense of their school. I call it their school because, being two of the inaugural students, they were two of the group of young ladies who were responsible for making the school what it is.

I had the opportunity to teach at the school for two years, and though there were many stressors that I do not miss one bit, I do miss my kids. I may only be 26 years old, but those girls that graduated last night are mine in so many ways. I was able to watch them grow and change and be there for them when they needed a shoulder and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Madi started out three years ago an incredible student who wouldn't say boo about anything. Over the course of time that I have known her, she has become not only an incredible student, but an outspoken young lady who I am proud to call a friend. She is intelligent, beautiful and confident. She knows that she can do anything she sets her mind to and she will prove that when she starts at New York University in the fall.

Carly is and has always been one of the rare people in this world who knew herself from the very beginning. She is also a brilliant student and one of the most level headed responsible young ladies I have ever met. There are so many memories I share with her, but the one that stands out most clearly is the day she totalled her parent's truck on the way to school. We were getting ready to leave for a field trip to the Seabrook Nuclear Power plant and she had called to say she was going to be a little bit late. A few minutes later, her passenger called to say they had been in a bad car accident and they wouldn't be making it to school in time for the field trip. I heard Carly saying in the background, "go left," in response to my asking where they were. I jumped in my car and turned left out the driveway and because of her directions, found them. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the truck smashed to pieces, laying on it's roof. Horrible visions took over my imagination and I ran for the ambulance. Thank God, both Carly and her passenger were fine. They had a few scratches, but they got out without major injury. I have never been so relieved in my life. Through it all, Carly kept a level head and never panicked. She had the forethought to kick out the back window of the truck so they could climb out and escape any further injury. She is headed for Colby Sawyer College in September looking forward to a career in nursing. She will be the best nurse who ever walked the halls of a hospital.

I am not sure I have ever felt this proud. Again, though these girls are not biologically mine, I am so proud to have known them and been a part of their lives. I look forward to a long life of friendship with both of them. Congrats girls. You are the best.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Casey. I hope you know how inspirational you have been to me. Thanks again for rescuing me from that ambulance!

    Love, Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll rescue you any time Carly!! Let's not make a habit of life threatening situations though!!! I love you to pieces and you should know how inspirational you've been to me!

    ReplyDelete