Friday, March 26, 2010

Admitting impediments...

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved."

-William Shakespeare

I am a self-proclaimed "word nerd". I think then that it instantly goes hand in hand that I love
Shakespeare. My introduction to Shakespeare was very different than most unfortunate high
school students. Instead of being forced to read the brilliant plays that were always meant for
performance, we went ahead and performed. We played up the sex and violence. We learned
about the dirty, dirty puns. We used hand gestures to enhance the meanings of those puns. All
in all, it was a darn good time. But anyways, I'm not going to go on a diatribe about how awesome
Shakespeare is. Not today at least...

Today, I want to talk about how hard it is sometimes for some people (in this case namely me) to
admit the impediments. I'll say it right now - I am not good at talking about things that I'm not good
at and unfortunately for me, getting my point across about what I want or need is something that I
am not good at.

I am always afraid that I'm going to sound demanding or bitchy when I say that I need some
attention. I feel like it makes me sound so selfish... So, instead of just saying it, I get pouty and
grumpy - because that's so much better than sounding demanding right?

It seems to me that life is a constant process of revelation and some very important things have
become clear to me recently:

1. Not only is it not my job to "fix" everything, it is also completely impossible.

2. As long as I'm not making unreasonable demands, I'm not going to come across as demanding
when I ask for something that I need.

3. The time has come for me to really let it all go and have some faith and that includes having some
faith in myself.

4. I am lucky enough to have made it this far so when I pair that luck with this new found faith (and
just to clarify, I'm not talking about some new religious devotion... don't panic) everything is going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment