Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Poetry

My fantastic friends Jess, Al and Paul let me borrow a season of Def Poetry Jam and I have been mesmerized watching it this evening. I had seen a couple of clips on YouTube on different occasions and I enjoyed them, but watching the whole show is just breathtaking. It is fantastic. The people are so talented and their words bring out so much feeling and so many thoughts. What can I say? I'm inspired. 

Watching other people's words
brings energy to my own.
What they have to say
elicits a visceral reaction
from me.
Whether it's 
goosebumps
or laughter
or even tears
I am feeling 
something - 
many things - 
everything.
They share not just words
but feelings
and images - 
snapshots of their own lives
or the lives of those
they observe.
Social commentary,
joys,
fears,
loves,
everything laid out
for any and all
to make meaning of
and possibly
to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment