Monday, July 27, 2009

Place Based Writing

Yikes! It's been a while... sorry about that, but I've been busy doing other important things and the computer hasn't been high on my list of priorities. This week though, writing is my number one priority... more or less. I am a participant in the Place Based Writing Institute at PSU this week so my days will be filled with all sorts of writing and I plan on sharing some with you here. I'm also going to challenge myself to stray from the sappy poetry and into something more intense... we'll see how that goes. Anyways, here's something I wrote in class today:

The pavement is old and worn and cracks show a hint of green grass that wants desperately to grow there. We walk by the Barron's, the Baybutt's, the Anthony compound, Aunt Mel's, the Mudgetts, Gus and Gail's, the McGarrity's and usually turn around at Millie's driveway. If we're feeling ambitious we continue up the long hill itself to the elevator house, but never so far as the Glencross's. 

The way home is always different. The sun in my eyes and a wind in my face. Back down by the same places on the opposite side of the road, until we cross back over by the Baybutt's so as not to invade Charlie's territory. It's only fair. 

Dexter stops to pee in all the same places and Lucy's always on the lookout for something to eat - dead birds, caterpillars, unidentified objects thrown from car windows. Sometimes I feel like I spend half our walks with my hands in her mouth - prying away the desired-but-not-allowed and trying to get all the feathers out of her crooked little teeth. 

Down the hill, Dexter slows down - he isn't ready to go home yet. He licks my hand trying to distract me while Lucy continues her running-almost-in-place-pace. 

Back on 113 watching out for the forest of poison ivy in every form imaginable and back in the driveway to where we call home. Up the steps, in the door and they head for their respective water bowls for a quick drink before I can pick them up. "You can't have too much when you're hot because you know you just puke it back up again."

If it's particularly hot, they each get an ice cube to chase across the floor until either it's caught or it melts into a puddle that I'm bound to step in and wonder just what it was that I stepped in...

No comments:

Post a Comment