Sunday, July 5, 2009


A fine summer day today. The sky was blue, the sun was shining and I didn't feel a single raindrop all day long. It's been a long time since we've had a day like that. Lucky for me, I got to spend nearly the entire day outside and enjoying it. Playing in the plants at BCG, walking the dogs and some quality pony time made today pretty fantastic. 

I went for a little drive tonight around the back roads of Tamworth and Sandwich... something I was very fond of doing just after I got my license and had the time to do it. I live in a really beautiful place, I have to say. Winding dirt roads, wooden bridges over idyllic brooks, and views of the mountains and the moon that would make most people drool. Honestly, looking at all of it tonight, I could have used a bib. I have lived here my entire life and I am so thankful for that. I can say that I grew up in one of the most beautiful places on Earth and really, really mean it. 

Strawberry jam
on saltine crackers
the only snack she could think of
and one I ate 
too much of. 

Summer days spent
at the Finley house
the scent of the chlorinated pool
seeping into everything
and I loved every minute.

Back then 
the game of Life
was just that - 
a game.
Played on an ancient board
on an even older floor
in a house with hidden passageways
and doors too small for a grown up
to fit through.

We spent mornings at the barn
and afternoons on the hill
inventing games and playing with toys
that belonged to some other child
who lived in some other time. 

That house is gone now,
and so is the pool.
Torn down and re-built into something
nowhere near
the original. 
So many pieces of childhood
gone in that very same way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment