Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happy Birthday...

Today would have been my grandfather's 78th birthday and it seems very foreign to me that he is not here to celebrate it. In honor of this day, I want to just list some of my favorite memories of him.

I remember Necco wafers,
the chocolate were your favorite.
Sprite and Crunch bars.
Toast with butter, peanut butter and cinnamon sugar.
Peony flowers, mayflowers, and vegetable gardens -
when the oak leaves are as big as a mouse's ear, plant your peas.
When test driving cars, always really test them out and see what they can do.
Bruises and scabs
always bleeding because of your medicine.
Pink pills for pale people
whenever I was sick.
I remember the greatest hugs,
holding your big, soft, cool hand.
Lava soap and the smell of gasoline
when you had Elliott Brothers Garage.
I remember your smile
and how much you loved your family.
You were proud of me
always.

I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment